Sunday, October 11, 2009

Christmas Lost

Happy, happy Christmas, that can win us back to the delusions of our childish days; that can recall to the old man the pleasures of his youth; that can transport the sailor and the traveller, thousands of miles away, back to his own fire-side and his quiet home! ~Charles Dickens, The Pickwick Papers, 1836


i'm a child and she was my Christmas lost
i ran to the tree for the only thing i wanted
i tripped over a table and didn't bother to hurt
she was underneath in my dream the night before
but lunging at the present alter i found nothing
no one could convince me my dream wasn't real
i could feel her and even smell her hair
so you can imagine my disappointment
i wallowed for a bit then stumbled to pop's lap
i crawled up in it for a glimpse of relief
but i could feel his heart skipping as he held back
tears for my lost Christmas

but still i could feel his love
it was just that i'd have to wait another year or so



No comments:

Post a Comment